AMA AND OTHERS CAUTIONS “RETAIL CLNICS; BIG BAD WOLF!”
Let’s start with some of the arguments these groups put forward as reasons for concern in using a Retail Clinic!
- Ø Do not have access to all chart records.
- Ø Causes Fragmentation of care by adding another provider.
- Ø Staffed often by Physician Assistances or Nurse Practitioner
- Ø No patient follow up care.
- Ø Chronically ill are more complicated than clinics usually see. (Note it doesn’t say can’t handle)
- Ø Question if have patient’s best interests at heart!
I looked in detail at five articles about these warnings. The first covers the period around 2007. Titled AMA Goes After Walmart Style Retail Clinics, it warns of the same concerns. “Our primary focus is patient safety and patient care, and the retail clinics have a different mission of selling products and prescriptions,” said Dr…
View original post 532 more words